Thursday 13 September 2012

A good run

While in Magic Wood, waiting for boulders to dry out, I decided to go for a couple of jogs to keep trim. I found a nice track that led up into the mountains in steep zig zags from 1300m to over 1900m, above the tree line and into a lovely open mountain corrie. On the first outing, it was super humid and felt like hard work. I walked a few sections, but I sensed that the uphill running was beginning to feel close to ‘steady state’. So a few days later I did it again on a much nicer day and got on much better.

I ran over 600m altitude gain in 36 minutes without stopping to walk which is the first time I think I’ve ever run so far uphill in one push. The interesting thing was that I did the run after eating lunch (I’d had 4 hours bouldering in the morning). Normally if I ever run I do it after the overnight fast to get into fat oxidation quicker. The difference was quite amazing! I know that’s rather obvious but it was still quite something to experience it. Instead of feeling like a motivational mission, it felt pretty easy. Moreover, after the harder steep sections I could feel my legs wanting to run faster as soon as the angle decreased again. I guess habitual runners must be used to that feeling but it’s nice for an amateur to feel it even once.

I remember reading when I started climbing that Messner, in training for the first ascent of Everest without oxygen in 1978, 'claimed' to be able to run 1000m uphill in 35 minutes. So I’m officially 3/5ths as fit as Messner. Im not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Perhaps I put in some training for my enchainment idea after all?

I wrote some ideas about mental strategies for motivating yourself to run uphill on the training blog here.


In conversation with... Reinhold Messner from MOUNTAIN EQUIPMENT on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. If you google "vertical kilometer record" you find that the official record is 30:56, so Messner's 35 is quite plausible.

    (Personally I'm quite pleased if I can sustain 500m/hr walking with a rucksack full of climbing gear)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I managed 530m in 26 minutes on holiday and I'm a not very fit 48 year old, though it does seem that going up hills suits me. Rock climbing's your thing Dave - don't get too diverted into the running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and perhaps something of a tangent, but the DAV has a standardised test for candidates for guided expeditions. They reckon if you can do 500m/hr in big boots with a 20kg rucksack then you're fit enough for 8,000 metre expeditions. These are of course guided expeditions by the easiest routes, probably with oxygen, and not "solo via a new route without oxygen in a day" undertakings.

    Details (in German): http://www.dav-summit-club.de/fileadmin/infothek/022_023_Tipps_Vorbereitungskurse__LAY_150.pdf

    ReplyDelete